Sunday, November 10, 2013

Sharepoint 3.0 , Search not working

One of our sharepoint 3.0 which comes with the Project server has a search problem, some users cannot search at all . After testing at UAT we find that to resolve it need to run the sharepoint update (infrastructureupdateforwindowssharepointservices3.0-kb951695-fullfile-x86)

This is how we do it,

Backup the sharepoint using stadm
Run the Sharepoint Update ( at this point we have the error that it cannot upgrade due to the the The B2B upgrader timer job failed ) which is at the steps 8.

To resolve this we follow the link here , at this part

Here is what I did:

I copied web.config file from 12\CONFIG to 12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS.

The I did run:
psconfig -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force -wait

That's it.
After this, we manage to upgrade we find that the search is working fine. But then we have the exception error in SQL server 2005
the mssql dump looks like due from sharepoint search sql

From the sql server logs,
SqlDumpExceptionHandler: Process 71 generated fatal exception c0000005 EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

SQLDUMPER_UNKNOWN_APP.EXE, ValidateModule: Potential image problem at 0x77E64841: read 0xE9 instead of 0x8B (module C:\WINDOWS\system32\kernel32.dll)

From the sharepoint logs,
CSqlCrawl::ExecuteCommand fails Error 0x80004005 - File:d:\office\source\search\search\gather\server\gathersql.cxx Line:408

Based on the error , suspect due to the SQL Server 2005. We upgrade it to SP4 and the issue resolve perfectly.